Re: LC III & networking possible?

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 21:37, Brad Korponay wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I hope someone can help me with this as I'm starting to near the end
of my rope with this.

> My goal is to get my LC III running Debian on the Internet through my
Dlink DI-604 router and cable modem.
> The quandry is this. I have two network cards, an Asante and an Apple
LC (Sonic) card. The Asante will work when connected directly to the
cable modem, but fails when connected to the router. The Apple card
works with the router and I can even install using network, but when it
comes time to reboot, I get a kernel panic after the network card is
recognized as eth0 every time.

Some Asante cards don't work properly when connected to a 10/100 hub or
switch (the 10/100 hub switch doesn't seem able to negotiate the speed
correctly).  Try using a 10Mb hub or switch and then uplink the 10MB
hub/switch to your router.

> Thinking the Apple card was the better route to take, I've tried the
following without success.

> Install the newest release of woody with linux.bin kernel that comes
with it.
> Install the newest release of woody with the latest 2.2.20 kernel.
> Install potato trying both kernels.
> Trying any variation I can think of.
> Every attempt produces a kernel panic.

Some of the sonic cards don't get shut down by MacOS properly in some
cases.  A solution that works for some is to disconnect the network
cable before booting Linux and plug it back in after Linux starts.

> I've read today that the latest 2.4.20 kernel has support for the
sonic ethernet card. I'll try that next (if I can get my cd-rom to read
my discs..grrr). I haven't had much success with the 2.4.x kernels so
far, so I'm not holding my breath with this one either.

2.4.20 doesn't boot on any Macintosh that I'm aware of.  The last 2.4
kernel to work to my knowledge was 2.4.1 which worked fairly well on my
IIfx until it's ancient disk crashed.

> Does anyone have any fixes for this? Surely someone out there has an
Apple Ethernet card running Debian!

My Macs hang off a 10 Mb hub uplinked to a Linksys 10/100 switch and
then routed through either my cable modem or IDSL router.

> Thanks in advance, Brad

Hope this helps,
Ray