Re: Quadra 950 install problems

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 11:23:28PM -0500, Hank wrote:
> Benn having a few problems installing woody on a Quadra 950. The install
> program finishes and asks to
> reboot the system. But it doesn't reboot. I do a hardware reboot with
> the reset switch and boot back in
> with the appropriate root directory.

> The system gives the following message:
>    Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as reference. . .
>    modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate char-major-10-135

> The text cursor keeps blinking, but the program refuses to go any
> further. Any ideas?

I've seen similar symptoms on a powerpc iBook, because the *wrong* rtc
module is being loaded in order to talk to the system clock -- it tries
to load a module which, although compiled for a powerpc, is meant for
x86s!

If you can boot into single-user mode, you can probably get your system
to boot by removing the rtc.o module from somewhere in
/lib/modules/<version>/ -- but I don't remember which rtc module is
which...

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer