Re: xserver-xfree86 on Woody 3.0r0

Hi Aled

On 31-Okt-02, you wrote:

>> I'm having a real "hell" getting my keyboard to work properly in X.
Dunno
>> if I'm missing some settings in XF86Config-4 but some keys are
definately
>> in the wrong place. For example is my right-alt acting as a shift-key
>> right now...
>>
>> Only setting I have is "xkbdisable" at the moment (having a swedish
>> amiga-keyboard)
>>
>> This is my keyboard-settings in XF86Config-4:
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>   Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
>>   Driver      "keyboard"
>>   Option      "CoreKeyboard"
>>   Option      "Xkbdisable"
>> EndSection
>
> mine reads-
> Section "InputDevice"
>        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>        Driver          "keyboard"
>        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>        Option          "CustomKeyCodes"
>        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
>        Option          "XkbModel"      "amiga"
>        Option          "XkbLayout"     "usa1"
> EndSection
>
> this gives me a US amiga keymap, i then use xmodmap to convert the #
> into £ signs, and the ` into #, and the DEL key into DEL (its set as a
> backspace). the alt keys are set up correctly.
> however, if u are using XkbDisable then the alt key should be set the
> same as it is in your console keymap (i think)
>
> hope that helps.

Thanx, that did really help and now it works!! I can switch to console with
ctrl-alt-Fx and everything and every key is mapped right except £ and #
plus that I can't find @ somewhere.

The strangest thing is that I didn't change your settings because I don't
know if I should use "se" "sv" or "s" for the swedish layout. Seems like
the swedish letters "å" "ä" and "ö" get right anyway, at least when I run
xev.
But, if someone can tell me if its se, sv or s I should use I would be
grateful, that might solve the wrong positions of those keys.
However, I do remember that I could never find @ when I ran potato
either....

Then there's only one more thing to find out the reason for... I ALWAYS get
an X on a 1024x768 screen at 87 hz wich looks a little crappy. And I have
to boot with virge:640x480-16 to be able to get a 16-bit display or
virge:640x480-8 to get an 8-bit one...
I have NO idea why that is.. doesn't matter if I use -- -bpp ZZ, -- -depth
ZZ or both, it still turn out wrong. There's got to be some kind of setting
somewhere that I have no clue to where it can be.

Then there's this switching between screenmodes... if it's supposed to work
I don't know, but it doesn't for me. Was it "alt & +" or "alt & -"?

Regards
--
Thomas Sjölin

http://home.infoscandic.se/thomas

Software suppliers are trying to make their software packages more
'user-friendly'.... Their best approach, so far, has been to take all
the old brochures, and stamp the words, 'user-friendly' on the cover.
-- Bill Gates