Re: can't boot linux

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 06:12, Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono wrote:
> Ray Knight <audilvr@speakeasy.org> :
>
> > Do you have any Nubus cards that might be causing a conflict?  Have you
>
> i have a video board and an ethernet adaptor... i hope they don't cause
> conflicts! do you suggest to try removing them?

I suggest you try booting without the cards.  If it then boots you can
add them back to determine which is the offending card.  My guess would
be the video board if it is not an Apple brand board.  No one has yet
coded support for the non-Apple boards so many don't work.

> > tried booting MacOS without extensions? 8 MB could likely not be enough
>
> i also tried to boot from floppy, without extensions
>
> > memory on a IIci.  Remember a IIci will use some of the first 1MB for
> > video, leaving it unavailable for Linux.
>
> since i have an additional video board, i hope the mac is not so stupid to
> eat my ram anyway... bout i wouldn't count on it :/

You should be able to squeeze by with 8MB then as you won't be
allocating memory for video.  But then if your video board is not an
Apple brand board it won't have a driver so you may not be able to see
the output.

Ray