Re: X keyboard problem on woody

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:14:18AM -0500, Ray Knight wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 10:53, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > And this is without changing the installed version of X?  I smell kernel
> > trouble.
> >
> No I mean same kernel version, but potato has the standard potato X
> version (3.3.something) and woody has the standard woody X version
> (4.1.0.1).

Okay.

> > /me suddenly gets a powerful headache.
> >
> > Looks like someone fucked up the keymap.  Can you post your
> > /etc/X11/XF86Config (or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4)?

> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "keyboard"
>         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh_old"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
> EndSection

That looks 100% kosher for a U.S. Macintosh with a kernel that doesn't
emit the new keyboard scancodes used by recent Debian PowerPC kernels.

Okay, let's see what we can do with this.

Crash course in XKB:

When you use "macintosh_old" as your XkbModel, the X server uses the
/etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/macintosh file to associate key identities with
scancodes.  (I know this because that's what /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86
tells me.)

    <LCTL> = 62;  // Left Control
    <LALT> = 63;  // Left Option
    <LFSH> = 64;  // Left Shift
    <RALT> = 66;  // Left Command
//    <RTSH> = 131; // Right Shift
//    <RALT> = 132; // Right Command
//    <RCTL> = 133; // Right Control
//    <RMTA> = 134; // Right Option

(It appears there has been some confusion over what scan code is emitted
by the right Alt key...)

Running xev again, what scancodes are actually reported for those keys?

/etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/macintosh is a conffile, so you can change it.
Try putting those xev-reported scancodes into this file, replacing
what's there.  See if that fixes the problem.  If it does, please file a
bug against xlib and include a patch for the macintosh keycodes file.

If you'd supply the scancodes for the right shift, right control, and
right meta/option keys as well, that would be great.

I appreciate your patience.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You could wire up a dead rat to a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     DIMM socket and the PC BIOS memory