Re: xserver-xfree86 on Woody 3.0r0

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 00:23, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 11:29:49PM -0400, Ray Knight wrote:
> > Now if someone could tell me how to get Crl-Alt-Fx keys to work and how
>
> Does the kernel lie to userspace about what key that is?  I made
> following cynical observation on my iBook page:
>
>         The keyboard type to select is qwerty/mac-usb-us. Unfortunately,
>         this key mapping has the property of making the Command key the
>         "alt" key, even though the Option key is the one engraved with
>         the word "alt". So keep that in mind; in the Linux console
>         environment, where you see references to the ALT key, use the
>         Comamnd key instead. Furthermore -- and this is not Linux's
>         fault -- iBooks require that you hold down the Fn key to get the
>         function keys to scan as function keys. The order in which you
>         press them is important, too! So, to switch consoles, learn this
>         order: Command + Fn + F1 (where F1 might be F2, F3, etc.). When
>         you see <ALT+F4> in the installer, think Command + Fn + F4. I
>         have campaigned with the Debian PowerPC porting team to at least
>         take care of the Alt/Command part of this problem, but so far to
>         no success. I'll note cynically that the X server does it right.
>         Alt is Alt.
>
> http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html
>
> Perhaps some unenlightened person decided to swap Alt and Command at the
> kernel level.
>
> If not, do you know how to use xev?  I'm happy to work with you to
> figure this out.

It's definitely an X problem and not a kernel problem as I use the same
kernel on potato and woody.  It works properly on potato, it works
properly on woody as long as X is not installed or running.  Use startx
X to the X server and you can no longer switch to another console on
woody.

> > to map the Ctrl, and Alt keys to mimic mouse buttons 2 and 3 I'll have a
> > really useful setup.
>
> There are two ways to do this, I think:
>
> 1) support a kernel hack to do this like the Linux/PowerPC people do
> 2) configure XKB to do this with its "AccessX" feature, which I don't
>    yet know how to do

This also worked correctly on potato with X Version 3.3.x, but no longer
works on woody.

Ray