Re: xserver-xfree86 on Woody 3.0r0

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 11:29:49PM -0400, Ray Knight wrote:
> Now if someone could tell me how to get Crl-Alt-Fx keys to work and how

Does the kernel lie to userspace about what key that is?  I made
following cynical observation on my iBook page:

        The keyboard type to select is qwerty/mac-usb-us. Unfortunately,
        this key mapping has the property of making the Command key the
        "alt" key, even though the Option key is the one engraved with
        the word "alt". So keep that in mind; in the Linux console
        environment, where you see references to the ALT key, use the
        Comamnd key instead. Furthermore -- and this is not Linux's
        fault -- iBooks require that you hold down the Fn key to get the
        function keys to scan as function keys. The order in which you
        press them is important, too! So, to switch consoles, learn this
        order: Command + Fn + F1 (where F1 might be F2, F3, etc.). When
        you see <ALT+F4> in the installer, think Command + Fn + F4. I
        have campaigned with the Debian PowerPC porting team to at least
        take care of the Alt/Command part of this problem, but so far to
        no success. I'll note cynically that the X server does it right.
        Alt is Alt.

http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html

Perhaps some unenlightened person decided to swap Alt and Command at the
kernel level.

If not, do you know how to use xev?  I'm happy to work with you to
figure this out.

> to map the Ctrl, and Alt keys to mimic mouse buttons 2 and 3 I'll have a
> really useful setup.

There are two ways to do this, I think:

1) support a kernel hack to do this like the Linux/PowerPC people do
2) configure XKB to do this with its "AccessX" feature, which I don't
   yet know how to do

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Convictions are more dangerous
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       enemies of truth than lies.