Re: No sshd? (Was: Re: No telnet into SE/30?)

At 08:27 -0500 7/18/02, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 05:19:55AM -0400, Mauricio wrote:

  From what I read here, the sshd .deb package ain't working, so I may

The ssh deb on m68k does not work? How come it works for me very well? Maybe
you did not wait long enough, an ssh2 connection to my 060 box takes about a
minute to start, ssh -1 is much faster and a little less secure, but that
has to be enabled on the m68k box, at least on woody thats not enabled by
default.

	Well, I was going by what was recently said in this list:
============= %< =========================================

From: Brad Boyer <flar@cegt201.bradley.edu>
Subject: Re: sshd
To: linux-mac68k@mac.linux-m68k.org
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 102 18:48:28 -0500 (CDT)
Sender: owner-linux-mac68k@mac.linux-m68k.org

 > There isn't a sshd .deb precompiled for m68k ?

There is an sshd for m68k, but it's broken in the version in the
security updates section due to dependency problems... I'm not sure
what needs to be done exactly. Perhaps someone who knows more about
Debian can answer? I still have one installed from an older release
that works, but apt-get complains occaisionally about the upgrade path
failing for it.

 (what sound driver must i  use  on quadra 610 ? )

You can't use sound on any 68k Macintosh because there isn't a driver
that works. There isn't any documentation, and it hasn't been
important enough to anyone to figure out how to properly run the sound
chips in the various models.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@cegt201.bradley.edu

============= %< =========================================

Also, the fact remains that find cannot find ssl, ssh, or sshd in my machine, so for one reason or another they were not installed.

 be better off compiling it myself as I am doing in the Solaris box.
 In the mean time, it would be nice to have telnet daemon working.
 /etc/initd.conf does not seem to have *any* entry refering to it (I
 guess it is called in.telnetd like in solaris).  Very very

You mean /etc/inetd.conf?

It could be; when I wrote that I had not slept in 36 hours and right now the machine is off.

 > interesting.  Does that mean it is a .deb package I need to get?

That means debian paid attention to security on your box.

apt-cache search telnet

Of course its in a package. IIRC its not installed by default, because
telnetd is a security risk. If you have to install a telnetd, use at least
telnetd-ssl.

	Ok

 And there is a debian-user mailing list for this kind of
questions as this has nothing to do with m68k.

Christian

With all due respect, this was the kind of answer I was hoping not to get, specially the last paragraph. You see, for a long time I have always made a point not to learn or use linux. But, now I was thinking on doing it in my SE/30. I am finding that linux is quite different in the aspects I need right now from Solaris, SunOS, and net/openBSD, so I am rather confused. I am rather frustrated since not being able to pop a telnet section (unsecured or secured or whatever, niftytelnet does both) really pisses me off.

I was having the very same problem with my netbsd box (a dec 5000/20). I asked around in the pmax netbsd mailing list and they were willing to help me out get to the point I could get this to work. It ended up being a trip in understanding the way netbsd 1.5.2 boots, which was different from 1.4.1, the last one I have used. With my success in there, I went ahead and took the se/30 out of the closet where it has been sitting since the beginning of the month to give it one more try.

Now, if I am too dumb to understand the clearly obvious telnet and ssh/l case I am wasting bandwidth here for, I am really sorry. I did not know such a question was below this list. I also have never had a successful experience with a package manipulation program, besides getting gcc in my sparc (everything else I added I chose to compile). Perhaps I am not worthy of using linux; I can live with that. I can use the lesser OSs.