Re: No sshd? (Was: Re: No telnet into SE/30?)

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 05:19:55AM -0400, Mauricio wrote:

>  From what I read here, the sshd .deb package ain't working, so I may

The ssh deb on m68k does not work? How come it works for me very well? Maybe
you did not wait long enough, an ssh2 connection to my 060 box takes about a
minute to start, ssh -1 is much faster and a little less secure, but that
has to be enabled on the m68k box, at least on woody thats not enabled by
default.

> be better off compiling it myself as I am doing in the Solaris box.
> In the mean time, it would be nice to have telnet daemon working.
> /etc/initd.conf does not seem to have *any* entry refering to it (I
> guess it is called in.telnetd like in solaris).  Very very

You mean /etc/inetd.conf?

> interesting.  Does that mean it is a .deb package I need to get?

That means debian paid attention to security on your box.

apt-cache search telnet

Of course its in a package. IIRC its not installed by default, because
telnetd is a security risk. If you have to install a telnetd, use at least
telnetd-ssl. And there is a debian-user mailing list for this kind of
questions as this has nothing to do with m68k.

Christian