Re: Boot floppies for a MacSE/30

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:48:26AM -0700, William Crowshaw wrote:
> Perhaps this message should go to debian-boot, but I
> thought I would try this mailing list first.  I would
> like to install Debian onto my B/W Mac SE/30.   I've
> encountered the "bog1: don't know screen type 0" error
> and its apparently an error with the installation boot
> floppies, not the kernel.  Apparently, I need to make

your mac supports only two colours, for some reason the langchooser version
of the installer needs more colours.

> my own installation boot floppies turning off a
> nolangchooser option.

you do not want to turn it off, you want to turn it on (nolangchooser on
mean no langchooser is used, thats what you want, because the langchooser
uses the framebuffer and "bogl"). Just add it to your boot option, you do
not have to build a new set of boot-floppies for that, the nolangchooser
switch was added recently and is reported to work just fine. If you really
want to build you own boot-floppies, you should check the CVS what changed
in the last 3 or so releases, langchooser had to be activated in a few
places, if you want to deactivate it for your build, I guess you'd have to
undo the changes again. But why bother when the much more comfortable
solution, a switch which lets you decide at runtime, is already integrated?

Just last week somebody had this problem with an amiga, the solution is the
same as the one you need. Its described in the install docs, if you don't
find it, look it up in the list archive. Seems I need to add this to the
woody FAQ...

> That's about all I know, which isn't much.  Anyway, does anyone know if I
> can make my own installation boot floppies for my m68k on my Debian Potato
> installed on my Mac PowerPC?  Do I need cross-compiler (which at this
> point is not available for the PowerPC) to do so?

It might work, but I haven't heard of anybody trying. Didn't you ask this
before?

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato