Re: quadra 950 problems

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 02:12:42PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > I've been trying to install debian (potato) in a quadra 950, 1gb &
> > 98mb ram. With penguin 18 and the "linux" kernel that comes by
> > default, I got an error -17  just before booting, and after the boot,
> > it stops when checking for scsi devices.

> So penguin 18 doesn't work.

> > With penguin 19 (and kernel 2.20) I get a little further, but it
> > stops when trying to load the ram disk:
> > Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on  00:00

> That means it can't find a rootdisk image. You need to specify the
> location of the root.bin as a ramdisk in penguin's settings. Once you did
> that, you should be able to boot and install.

> After installing, don't forget to remove the reference to root.bin (else
> you won't be able to do anything but installing ;-)

Curiously, I've had no luck getting my Mac LC III to boot without the
reference to root.bin... I actually have to load the ramdisk /and/
specify 'root=/dev/sda5' as a kernel parameter, otherwise Linux hangs
while initializing the SCSI bus.

Anyone seen that before, or have any ideas how to get around it?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer