Re: quadra 950 problems

At 14:12 +0100 24/2/02, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, R.A. wrote:

 I've been trying to install debian (potato) in a quadra 950, 1gb &
 98mb ram. With penguin 18 and the "linux" kernel that comes by
 default, I got an error -17  just before booting, and after the boot,
 it stops when checking for scsi devices.

So penguin 18 doesn't work.

I guess it's the "linux" kernel. I tested it with penguin 19 and it doesn't work either. Penguin 18 with kernel 2.20 works fine.

 > With penguin 19 (and kernel 2.20) I get a little further, but it
 stops when trying to load the ram disk:
 Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on  00:00

That means it can't find a rootdisk image. You need to specify the
location of the root.bin as a ramdisk in penguin's settings. Once you did
that, you should be able to boot and install.

After installing, don't forget to remove the reference to root.bin (else
you won't be able to do anything but installing ;-)

I did all that, the problem was that I didn't put the kernel parameters "root=/dev/ram" after I put that, it worked.
But I had another problem... :P
I partitionated my hard drive with Drive Setup, and "fine tuned" it with pdisk (i deleted the mac partitions and then created them again). I did 3 partitions: 80mb for macos, 1gb for root and the rest for swap. The problem was that the installer didn't want to initialize the swap partition, so I tryed to fix the problem, I edited the partitions (in the installer) and then wrote the table... IT ERASED THE PARTITION TABLE!!... well... I'll have to take out the disk and initialize it again in another computer... :(

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
  -- From the movie "Antitrust"