Error (before) installation of Debian 2.2 on Mac IIsi

I am attempting to load Potato Debian 2.2 on a Mac IIsi (configuration
below in signature).  After successfully partitioning, installing a
fresh MacOS 7.5.3 and transferring recommended files (downloaded by
another mac and transferred via SCSI external hard drive) to Mac IIsi
partition, I try to start by unzipping macinstall.tgz with Stuffit
Expander 5.5 but it halts during the process and I get the following
message error message:

"Sorry, but a disk related error (-34) has prevented the operation from
concluding."

This is a disappointing start. I have experience with installing Red Hat
graphically on intel hardware and I once installed mkLinux on a Mac
PB5300 which was like getting fitted for horse shoes ...however
successful.  Any suggestions?

Tony Kruse
-
Mac IIsi