Re: FYI: me, XFree86, and my Quadra 840AV

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Branden Robinson wrote:

> I recently completed my first successful complete build of XFree86 on my
> m68k box, with about 100 megs of space to spare on the local disk.
> Woohoo!

Congrats ;-)

> The box wasn't doing anything else except a "tail" during the build.
> And, of course, a root cron job that runs rdate every 10 minutes to keep
> the machine's clock from falling behind by literally hours during the
> build.  (NTP still locks the box.)

You need a recent kernel. NTP doesn't work on 2.2.10. I'm running a 2.2.19
I got somewhere, which does not have this issue.

Only I don't recall where I got it... anyone?

<snip>

> I tried NBD but it was a failure.

Ah?

> The kernel wouldn't finish with the
> nbd device for literally days after file operations had stopped, and
> there is no documentation about how to merge the "diffs" that are
> created back into the filesystem image.

diffs?

You're using the "copy-on-write" feature, are you? (-c to the server)

What you should've done instead is "nbd-server <any port> <the file>"

and on the client

nbd-client <server's hostname> <port> </dev entry>

These diffs are only interesting for setups with diskless boxen that swap
over the network. NBD was created to support this, but you need a special
kernel patch to prevent deadlocks to be able to do this safely.

If you've got, say, 100 diskless boxen, you don't want to run a separate
serverprocess for each and every client. So, you've got two options,
then: either use "%s" in the file-argument to the server, which will then
be expanded to the client's IP address, or use this diff-feature; then
every client uses the same file, but when something is written, it gets
written to a different file. This works, but is slower.

Since this is intended for swapspace, I suppose it's not possible to merge
them afterwards. But do note that I haven't tried these options yet, so I
could be wrong.
<snip>

- --
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be