Re: FYI: me, XFree86, and my Quadra 840AV

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 09:07:03AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I recently completed my first successful complete build of XFree86 on my
> m68k box, with about 100 megs of space to spare on the local disk.
> Woohoo!
Grats!

> Christian, of course, has such a speedy m68k that he was able to get the
> .debs of 4.1.0-4 uploaded before my build had finished even though I had
> a head start and a significant advantage of being able to start building
> as soon as the source package was ready.  :)
I grabbed it from incoming, if I had waited for it to be installed, you
might have won ;-)
But this time I registered it with wanna-build, if you want to build it
yourself, just register it and its yours.

> I tried NBD but it was a failure.  The kernel wouldn't finish with the
> nbd device for literally days after file operations had stopped, and
> there is no documentation about how to merge the "diffs" that are
> created back into the filesystem image.
>
> Check out that CPU utilization; yow...
>
> dpkg-buildpackage: binary only upload (no source included)
>         Command being timed: "dpkg-buildpackage -uc -B"
>         User time (seconds): 122976.66
>         System time (seconds): 19898.74
>         Percent of CPU this job got: 8%
>         Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 46:10:09
Ouch. Does that mean 8% of 46h is the time you actually needed for the
build? Or NBD took 8% out of that for its own purposes?

cts@aahz:~/logs>avg-pkg-build-time xfree86
xfree86:                26:04:38 (6 entries, sigma 05:46:35)
cts@aahz:~/logs>avg-pkg-build-time -s xfree86
xfree86:                931808k (1122525k lastest)

Now did the debug patch give you any insight as to where we have to start
fixing?

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato