Re: LC475 respawning too fast

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 03:01:18AM +0300, Jari Lammi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I followed exactly the instructions as explained in
> http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/docs/debian-2.2-mac68k-install.php with my
> LC475, but when the installer rebooted the system, the installation doesn't
> continue.
>
> After the line "Starting internet superserver: inetd." the LC475 stalls to
> "INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes". After five
> minutes it repeats this message and so on.
>
> Does this refer to the inittab line, which says:
> "1:2345:respawn:/sbin/termwrap /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure base-config
> </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1"? I was able to see it in tty2, so perhaps it
> would somehow be possible to finish the process manually too?
>
> I tried to run the dpkg-reconfigure manually, but since I'm not sure of the
> correct options here, it ended up with segmentation fault.
>
> What I miss is:
> - enabling MD5 passwords
> - enabling shadow passwords
> - removing the PCMCIA package
>
> And of course getting rid of the annoying "too fast" message would be nice
> too. Shall I just comment the line out from inittab?

I've had this problem too, on my Quadra 605. The information about it is
somewhat buried in website. A defective LC040 CPU will cause this error.
Apologies for not having the link that mentions the chip revision code
that is defective, but it is possible to find from the ports page.
If you are having an LC040, it's reccomended to try to get a real 040,
since then you'll have an hardware FPU.

If it isn't an LC040, hopefully someone else will have an idea.

--
Ferret

I will be switching my email addresses from @ferret.dyndns.org to
@mail.aom.geek on or after September 1, 2001, but not until after
Debian's servers include support. 'geek' is an OpenNIC TLD. See
http://www.opennic.unrated.net for details about adding OpenNIC
support to your computer, or ask your provider to add support to
their name servers.