Re: Another stuck amigan

I've just tried it with 4 colour depth, seill gives
the same error:

fbdevscreeninit: unable to set screen params (invalid
arguement)

I know it says that you should give the full server
out put but i cant find where the hell it logs it too,
ive tried /var/log/ and some other X related places :(

By the way the XF86Config was there I sent it as an
attachment, I can see the mail I sent list which has
been sent back from the list, anyway, if you like long
emails here it is in its full glory:

# File generated by anXious - the Debian X
Configuration Tool
# anXious and xviddetect are (c) 2000 Randolph Chung
<tausq@debian.org>

# Suggestions and bug reports about this tool should
be sent to
# xviddetect@packages.debian.org

#
# Refer to the XF86Config(4/5) man page for details
about the format of
# this file. A more thoroughly commented version of
this configuration
# file can be found in
/usr/share/doc/xserver-common/examples/XF86Config.eg
#

Section "Files"
	RgbPath		"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/:unscaled"
        FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
	ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
EndSection

# Section "Module"
# Load "xf86Jstk.so"
# EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
#	NoTrapSignals
#	DontZap
#	DontZoom
#	DisableVidModeExtension
#	AllowNonLocalXvidtune
#	DiableModInDev
#	AllowNonLocalModInDev
EndSection

Section "Keyboard"
	Protocol "Standard"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment
XkbDisable.
#    XkbDisable

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard,
modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example,
for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#    XkbModel    "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can
use:
#    XkbModel    "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout
setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
# or:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
#    XkbVariant  "nodeadkeys"
# if you'd like to switch the positions of your
capslock and
# control keys, use:
#    XkbOptions  "ctrl:swapcaps"

# These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
#    XkbRules    "xfree86"
#    XkbModel    "pc101"
#    XkbLayout   "us"
#    XkbVariant  ""
#    XkbOptions  ""

	XkbKeymap "xfree86(en_US)"

EndSection

Section "Pointer"
#	Protocol "gpm"
#	Device "/dev/mouse"
	Protocol "Auto"
	Device "/dev/amigamouse"
#	Emulate3Buttons
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"My Monitor"
	VendorName	"Unknown"
	ModelName	"Unknown"

	HorizSync 10-20
	VertRefresh 40-60

# This is a set of standard mode timings. Modes that
are out of monitor spec
# are automatically deleted by the server (provided
the HorizSync and
# VertRefresh lines are correct), so there's no
immediate need to
# delete mode timings (unless particular mode timings
don't work on your
# monitor). With these modes, the best standard mode
that your monitor
# and video card can support for a given resolution is
automatically
# used.

Mode "640x256"
	# D: 14.188 Mhz, H: 15.015 Khz, V: 50.081 Hz
	DotClock 14.189
	HTimings 640 726 802 908
	VTimings 256 270 272 312
	Flags "-HSync" "-VSync" "bcast"
EndMode

Mode "640x512"
	# D: 14.188 Mhz, H: 15.600 Khz, V: 50.000 Hz
	DotClock 14.189
	HTimings 640 726 802 908
	VTimings 512 541 545 625
	Flags "Interlace" "-HSync" "-VSync" "bcast"
EndMode

EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Linux Frame Buffer Device"
# option "no_accel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Driver "fbdev"
	Device "Linux Frame Buffer Device"
	Monitor "My Monitor"
	DefaultColorDepth 8

	SubSection "Display"
		Depth 4
		Modes "640x256" "640x512"
		Virtual 640 256
	EndSubsection

	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	8
		Modes	"640x512"
		Virtual	640 512
	EndSubsection

EndSection

I already looked at /usr/share/doc/xserver-fbdev, the
example wasn't "overly" helpful, it was geared more
towards monitors.

But the readme give me some ideas, I tried the above
with 4 colours and also with Mode "Default" as
suggested, still doesn't work :(

Andrew

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 11:04:01PM +0100, Andrew