Re: Debain 2.2 r2 installation problems on Amiga

On 08 Jul 2001 02:02:37 +0100, Jonathan Wallace wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm trying to install Debian from the 2.2 r2 CD's on an
> Amiga 1200 with a Blizzard 1260 accelerator (68060@50Mhz,
> 64Mb RAM and SCSI2 module) and I'm having two big problems
> which I hope somebody can give me some help with.
>
> Problem 1)
>
> Running amiboot fires up the basic kernel image which starts
> to boot up OK. But, 3 times out of 5 the boot sequence stops
> with the following error message:
> Partition check:
> sda:scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 18, scsi0, channel, 0 id 2, lun 0 Read (6) 00 00 01
> 01 00
> esp0: aborting command
> esp0: dumping state
> intreq: <2030>, intena:<601a>
> esp0: SW [sreg<11> sstep<11> sstep<04> ireg,10>]
> esp0: HW reread [sreg<11> sstep<cc> ireg<00>]
> esp0: current command [tgt<02> lun<00> pphase<CLUELESS> cphase<DATAIN>]
> esp0: disconnected
> SCSI host 0 abort (pid 17) timed out - resetting
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
> esp0: Resetting scsi bus
> esp0: Gross error sreg=40
> esp0: SCSI bus reset interrupt
> SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 17) timed out - trying harder
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
> esp0: Resetting scsi bus
> esp0: SCSI bus reset interrupt
> SCSI host 0 reset (pid 17) timed out again -
> probably an unrecoverable SCSI bus or device hang.
>

> Problem 2)
>
> On the odd occasion that the basic kernal boot works OK I only
> get as far as the second screen of the installation which displays:
> Please Wait
>
> The installation program is determining the current state
> of your system and the next installation step that should be
> performed
>
> My machine accesses the CD a couple of times and then just sits
> there seemingly doing nothing for evermore.
>
> Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated.
>
> The specifics of my system are:
>
> A1200 with phase5 Blizzard 1260 accelerator (68060@50Mz, 64Mb RAM, SCSI2)
> 3.8Gb Maxtor HD on motherboard IDE adapter
> Dual speed Matshita CDROM on SCSI ID 1
> 2Gb IBM HD on SCSI ID 2
> 4Gb IBM HD on SCSI ID 6 (This disk contains partitions required for Linux)
>

> Regards,
>
> johnny1002@freenetname.co.uk

This sounds very similar to a problem we were experiencing with the 040
base Macs that use the esp based SCSI.  The controller seemed to have
problems with SCSI disconnects when more with more than 1 device on the
bus.  The mac_esp driver was modified so a command line parameter could
be used to turn off SCSI disconnects.  Look in the mac_esp.c and esp.c
on the Linux for 68k Macintosh CVS at SourceForge.

Ray Knight
audilvr@speakeasy.org