Can't get through install (INIT 1 respawning too fast)

I'm attempting to set up Potato on my Performa 475,
using Penguin-18. I get through the first half of the
install without problems, until I reach the reboot
point. I reboot, and the boot process chugs along for
a few minutes. I then recieve the message 'INIT "1"
respawning too fast; disabled for 5 minutes". It
repeats itself each 5 minutes as long as the system is
running. I can get to another terminal, but I can't
finish the installer program. Any help would be much
appreciated.

-- Zach