Debugging the m68k build

> > On my machine (i386), the configure script for geomview decides that
> > "-I/usr/X11R6/include" is required to find the standard X headers
> > (X11.h, etc).  But this does not happen for the m68k, it seems; the
> > output from configure says:
> >
> >   checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers
> >
> > On other architectures, this step says
> >
> >   checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
> >
> > Anyone know why?  Can someone send me the "config.log" file created
> > by this build?
> Might be just /usr/X11R6/include missing.

Yeah, I'm starting to suspect this is the crux of the problem.  I
checked the m68k deb of lesstif-dev, and it does have Xm.h in the
right place.  So the problem is almost surely that configure is not
correctly guessing where to find X headers.  Now, the question is:

I had a closer look at the buildd log, and if I'm not mistaken, the
package xlibs-dev (containing the X11 headers) **isn't installed**!!!

In the log (m68k.debian.org/buildd/logs/geomview_1.8.0-5_20010305-1546),
I see the message

  ** Filtered missing central deps that are dependencies of or provide build-deps:
  mesag-dev, xlibs-dev (>= 4.0.1-11)

what does this mean?

I know that "mesag-dev" provides one of the source-deps (libgl-dev).
I assume that is why it gets listed.

Where does the "xlibs-dev" come from?  One of the build-deps is
lesstif-dev; this depends on xlib6g-dev which, in turn, depends on
xlibs-dev.  But if this is why xlibs-dev is listed, why isn't
xlib6g-dev *also* listed?

But here's the weird bit: neither xlib6g-dev nor xlibs-dev get
installed!  How is that possible?  I can see (on auric) that the m68k
deb of lesstif-dev depends on xlib6g-dev:

  smr@auric:/org/ftp.debian.org/ftp/pool/main$ dpkg --field  l/lesstif1/lesstif-dev_0.92.6-2_m68k.deb  Depends
  lesstif1, xlib6g-dev

and lesstif-dev 0.92.6-2 is the version installed according to the buildd
log.  So how does this get installed without having xlib6g-dev installed?
I can check that xlib6g-dev needs xlibs-dev:

  smr@auric:/org/ftp.debian.org/ftp/pool/main$ dpkg --field  x/xfree86/xlib6g-dev_4.0.2-7_all.deb Depends
  xlibs-dev, libxaw-dev

I presume the mistake is mine: I should list xlibs-dev in the
Build-Depends for geomview.  But I am really curious about
buildd, and how it installs packages.

Is there a way that I can check whether adding xlibs-dev to
Build-Depends suffices to have my package build on m68k?

----- End forwarded message -----