Re: Help

On 03/07/2001 - 02:43, Russell Hires wrote:

> [...]
> >don't know who actually wrote it, I just installed it from an rpm).  The
> >Penguin-18 and Penguin-Color files I mentioned in my original message
> >were originally hqx files so I used hexbin (part of macutils) to decode
> >them and it put .bin extensions on the decoded files.
> >
> >Mark Scott wrote:
> >
> >> Russel
> >>
> >> I will help you if I can.  Sorry the install guide didn't work for you
> >> but getting debian working on a m68k mac can be a little trying !
> >> First some information
> >>
> >> What size is the hard drive you are trying to install debian on?
> >> What size is the partition you wish to use?
> >> You will need a decoder to uncompress the files with .hqx extensions.
> >> The most commonly used is Expander by Alladin do you have this ?
> >> Exactly which files have you downloaded ?
> >> What is your harware configuration ?
> >> Which software did you use to partition your harddrive ?
> >
> >The drive I am trying to install on is 80M.  I know this is probably too
> >small for a really functional system (I have a larger one on the way).  I
> >was just hoping, at this point, to make sure that the kernel would boot on
> >this machine.
> >
> >As per the docs mentioned above, I have cut the disk such that there is a
> >20M partition for swap and a 50M partition for /.  The rest is a Mac
> >partion.
> >
> >I mentioned the compression and decoder software I am using above.  Again,
> >I don't have any of it on the mac itself since stuffit is too large to
> >move via 1.4M floppy and I have no network(on the Mac).
> >
> >I have downloaded base2_2.tgz and macinstall.tgz (to my PC) in hopes that
> >if I could extract them on the PC I could move them to the Mac bit by bit.
> >
> >The Mac hardware configuration is as follows: Macintosh LC II (I believe
> >its an m68030 processor) w/ 80M hardrive and 4M memory(not enough, I know,
> >I have a 16M simm on the way)
> >
> >I used Apple's HD SC Setup utility for partitioning.
> >
> >Henry Garcia wrote:
> >
> >> Look for the macinstall.tgz and the base2_2.tgz files. These are the
> >> only two files you need. You should download Stuffit 5.5 from
> >> www.aladdinsys.com.  It's in their old archive section under mac.
> >> Install Stuffit and drag the macinstall.tgz file on top of Stuffit
> >> Icon to decompress this file. Some files are still compressed:
> >> Penguin.hqx etc. and will have to be decompressed again.
> >>
> >> If you use the files off the Debian CD, you'll have the 2.0.36 kernel
> >> which nowhere near approaches the speed of the newer kernel on
> >> Steigies website.
> >
> >I think I've probably already covered all of this in the previous
> >
> >Thanx again for your help, guys
> >Russ
> >
> >--
> >"Bill Gates and Microsoft have ruined the computer industry for
> > a long time to come by creating a class of ignorant and lazy
> > computer users."  --Russel Ingram
> >
> >"Mommy ... can I go out and ... KILL TONIGHT!?"

Same goes for the CD.  As you mentioned I would have to have a CD player to attach or at least a connector that would go from Macintoshes idea of an external scsi port to an old style 50 pin D connector from an old Irix or Sun box.  Probably not a viable option on my budget at the moment.  I have spent my morning this morning surfing the ftphqx.info.apple.com site, though.  I didn't reallize that sea.bin and smi.bin files don't require extra software to extract/mount them.  I have the sea.bin file with the AppleShare client software on it and I do have another Mac with ethernet/TCP access to the internet (a Powerbook Duo in a dock), so maybe I can work something out between the two of them and the net.  One question about Mac disk formats, though.  Do I have to have a special disk to write an 800k disk image to or will it write to a 1.44M floppy?  Most of the stuff on the ftphqx site say they extract into 800k disk images and all I have are 1.44M floppies.

Thanx again,
Russ