Re: netatalk on a Mac LC520

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Rob Sabey wrote:

> OK, I did as Bjoern Brill suggested below and now I'm getting a long
> list of:
>
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.17/[module path and name]
>
> In other words, every module in 2.2.17 is telling me that there is an
> Unresolved symbols problem.  I've searched the debian site, the mail
> archives, and the web in general and haven't found anything that seemed
> similar except one item that suggested that you needed to created a
> directory named ida in the /dev directory and then run MAKEDEV inside
> the /dev folder.  That didn't do anything.

According to the kernel documentation, /dev/ida/ holds device entries for
a Compaq harware raid array. I've never heard of it before and it doesn't
seem to be related to your problem (except if you're using an extremely
cool hardware configuration for a Mac LC :)

> I'm a newbie and not that capable at linux so if anyone can help, please
> be sure to type slowly to that I'll understand your response.  ;-)

Most likely: mismatch between modules and/or System.map and kernel.

Do those messages appear during bootup as well?

Is the kernel you've booted really the one you think you have?
"uname -a" will tell you.

Where did you get the kernel, modules, System.map from? They should, as
a rule of thumb, all be compiled in one go (and hence you cannot generally
mix kernel/modules from differrent sources).

Where did you put the System.map file? Usually, it goes to
/boot/System.map-<kernelversion> and /boot/System.map is a symbolic link
to the former.

[If you don't understand what I'm talking about, mail me in private and
I'll explain in more detail.]

Regards,

Bjoern
--