Re: netatalk on a Mac LC520

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Rob Sabey wrote:

> Can anyone point me to some good documentation on installing and
> configuring netatalk on my Mac LC520 (68030 with Debian 2.2.17)?  The

You mean Debian 2.2 and kernel 2.2.17 ?

> documentation that I've been able to find doesn't really resemble what
> actually happened (i.e. what directories and files that were set up)
> when I installed it using dselect.  It isn't working.  When I try to
> start the atalkd, I get an error message similar to:
>
> socket: Invalid argument
> socket: Invalid argument
> atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.

Looks like you don't have support for the appletalk protocol in the
kernel. Either you compile it in, or maybe you have an appletalk.o module
somewhere in /lib/modules; should be /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/appletalk.o .
If you find one, try modprobe appletalk. To get this automated, add a

alias net-pf-5 appletalk

line to /etc/conf.modules . More precisely: put the line in
/etc/modutils/aliases and then run update-modules. This is the Debian
way.

And another, unrelated tip: if you get the daemons up and running but
the Macs still cannot see your server, try "ifconfig eth0 allmulti".
I needed that to get it working on a Quadra 700 (most likely a flaw in the
NIC driver).

HTH,

Bjoern
--