netatalk on a Mac LC520

Can anyone point me to some good documentation on installing and
configuring netatalk on my Mac LC520 (68030 with Debian 2.2.17)?  The
documentation that I've been able to find doesn't really resemble what
actually happened (i.e. what directories and files that were set up)
when I installed it using dselect.  It isn't working.  When I try to
start the atalkd, I get an error message similar to:

socket: Invalid argument
socket: Invalid argument
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.

If I rename the atalkd.conf file so that (theoretically?) the daemon
will self-discover which interface to use, then one of the "socket:
Invalid argument" errors disappears and I end up with the error:

socket: Invalid argument
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.

Interesting, but it doesn't get me where I want to be.

Supposedly, dselect downloaded the latest source,
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6 I believe.

My LC520 is on a small home ethernet network with three MacOS boxes.

Regards!

Rob Sabey