Re: aalib1 and aview package problems

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 07:52:44PM -0500, Erik van Roode wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>    I'm running potato/stable on an m68k amiga.
>
>    I installed the aalib1 binary package, but I'm getting link errors
> on libaa. world.c is just the main () { printf ("Hello world\n");}
> program.
>
> gcc -o world world.c -laa
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -laa
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> /usr/lib contains:
>      libaa.so.1 (symlink to 1.0.3)
>      libaa.so.1.0.3
You did not install aalib1-dev_1.2-25.deb?
 Package: aalib1-dev
 Version: 1.2-25
 Architecture: m68k
 Depends: aalib1 (>= 1.2-18), libc6-dev
  AAlib is a portable ascii art graphics library. Internally, it works like
  a graphics display, but the output is rendered into platform-independent
  ascii graphics.
  .
  This package contains the static library and header files used in
  development.

If you want to _write_ your own programs using a library, you have to install
a -dev package. If you _run_ a program which uses the (shared) library, you
just need the normal (non-dev) package.
Not a library expert here, but I think all libs in debian are organised by
this.

> I installed, configured, compiled and installed the source package,
> and I can link with that new libaa.
Because upstream does not seperate dev and non-dev (normal users do not need
the -dev package).

>    Then I tried installing the aview binary package, which fails because
> it depends on aalib1 (>= 1.2-26), which does not exist. The packages
Um, thats right...

>    Can new corrected versions of these two packages be generated?
Just aview, aalib is ok.
For the moment you can probably install aview with --force --depends.

Christian
--
First they ignore you. Then they laugh about you. Then they fight you.
And then you win. [Mahatma Gandhi]      http://people.debian.org/~cts/