Re: BlizzardPPC and 2.2 kernels

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 06:59:39PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:

> Yes, as the cooling for the PPC isn't optimal yet (read: I get liquid
> plastic when watching MPEG movies for over an hour).
And you think the m68k is fast enough for watching MPEG movies? Can I have
one of those, too?

> Unfortunately, the kernel people seem to think that Linux is i386 and
> sparc only. :-/
Didn't see much about i386 (except for ReiseFS) or sparc mentioned lately on
the linux-m68k list, did I miss something?

> I haven't had any luck in compiling a m68k kernel yet, mostly due to the
> IDE redesign.
You are talking about 2.4, right? But even that one compiles out of the box
(but does not work well enough yet) for me. Are you sure you are using the
right source? If you are using the debian kernel-source packages, you should
install the m68k-patch package as well, and I can tell you building kernels
with them works just fine, I had no problems to build amiga, atari and mac
kernel images. What exactly is your problem here? I am sure Nick would like
to know if something is wrong with his kernel-patch packages, and me too.
If you do not use the debian source, you know that there is a difference
between linux-i386 and linux-m68k?
As Geert likes to say: There's lots of Linux beyond ia32

Christian
--
First they ignore you. Then they laugh about you. Then they fight you.
And then you win. [Mahatma Gandhi]      http://people.debian.org/~cts/