Re: X windows on amiga

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 12:12:53AM +0100, Paul W. Martin 'Fred' wrote:
> Can someone please send full instructions for getting/setting up x-windows
> on amiga 68k version.. I'm new to this and not sure what to do next?
>
> I'm running the latest version of Potato for the Amiga
Maybe you should say what your problem is? And what hardware (read grafics
board, which, or no grafics board (AGA, ECS, OCS)) you are using if that is
the problem.

I am sure you read the instructions for the different boards, that came with
your potato CD, are in the disk-m68k directory and also on the potato page,
so your problem is related to which packages you have to install?
Did you try to select packages from the X11 category in dselect? It will
show dependencies and if you type "startx" and it does not work, you usually
get a more or less detailed error message, hinting at whats missing.

If you use tasksel and select "complete X-window system" it should work with
no problems, although you probably install more packages than you need.
xserver-fbdev, some xfonts, xterm and the packages these depend on might be
enough. You did get into the tasksel window during your debian install,
didn't you?

I can not show you a list of packages I have installed, since I am using
X4.0 packages right now (and a list of those packages is linked on the
potato page, which you have probably noted while reading the FAQ and related
documents).

Christian
--
First they ignore you. Then they laugh about you. Then they fight you.
And then you win. [Mahatma Gandhi]      http://people.debian.org/~cts/