Re: apt-get question

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 11:26:54PM -0500, Russell Hires wrote:

> I used a 2.2.17 kernel that came from the debian web site, along with the
> various modules. I don't know what version of dpkg I'm using, but I really
> use apt-get. I did the "update" option, and a couple of the others. I don't
> know which version of the libc6 I'm using. I haven't had any trouble with
> anything else, though.
dpkg -l >out
will list all installed packages with version numbers and install info.

> I figured it was a problem with the package itself. Perhaps I should contact
> the maintainer of this package?

root@aahz:/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-m68k/misc>dpkg -i
postgresql_7.0.2-6.deb
(Reading database ... 30499 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace postgresql 7.0.2-6 (using postgresql_7.0.2-6.deb) ...

[...]
Unpacking replacement postgresql ...
Setting up postgresql (7.0.2-6) ...

Configuration file /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env'
 ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
 ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
[...]
Creating database system directory /var/lib/postgres/data/base
Creating database XLOG directory /var/lib/postgres/data/pg_xlog
Creating template database in /var/lib/postgres/data/base/template1

FATAL: s_lock(8014bfa2) at spin.c:111, stuck spinlock. Aborting.

FATAL: s_lock(8014bfa2) at spin.c:111, stuck spinlock. Aborting.
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/initdb: line 442:   922 Broken pipe             cat
"$TEMPLATE"
       923                       | sed -e "s/PGUID/$POSTGRES_SUPERUSERID/g"
       924 Aborted                 | "$PGPATH"/postgres $FIRSTRUN template1

initdb failed.
Removing /var/lib/postgres/data.

Looks like your problem, right? Now I'd like to know if you also run libc6
from woody/unstable, grep libc6 out (with out generated by dpkg -l) will
tell us. Maybe you could try installing postgresql while running a 2.0
kernel? I don't know where this FATAL error message comes from, looks like
the kernel, but it as well be a postgresql error. Maybe you should get
into contact with the maintainer. Perhaps you are the first to install this
package on m68k, the ideal person to work with the maintainer to get this
fixed :-)

Christian
--
First they ignore you. Then they laugh about you. Then they fight you.
And then you win. [Mahatma Gandhi]      http://people.debian.org/~cts/