Re: apt-get question

Okay, I deserved this answer. So I went and got the error message, which
follows this message.

> You have to use the something-something program and give it the
> something-something-something option of course.
>
> Not clear? Now, if you told us _exactly_ what apt tells you, we might help
> you. If I look into my crystal ball, I think you want to call dpkg with
> --configure and not ap-get. But this is just a wild guess. You might also
> show us your /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure that you run "apt-get update"
> before "apt-get install xxx".

I tried the --configure option but to no avail.

> My box is not well configured right now, too many testing packages:
> root@aahz~>apt-get install postgresql
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>
> If I "apt-get -f install", apt proposes to remove a few packages, which
> could fix the situation (but I want to keep them packages). Did you try what
> apt suggests to you? I find the error messages rather verbose, but maybe you
> have hit an undocumented spot.

apt-get didn't suggest anything. I guess that's why I was confused.

> You might also install all the packages by-hand which apt lists, or use
> dpkg.

Tried that, didn't work. Basically, just the same error message:

FATAL: s_lock(801b6392) at spin.c:109, stuck spinlock. Aborting.
dpkg: error processing postgresql (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of odbc-postgresql:
odbc-postgresql depends on postgresql; however:
Package postgresql is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing odbc-postgresql (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of postgresql-contrib:
postgresql-contrib depends on postgresql (>= 6.5.2); however:
Package postgresql is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing postgresql-contrib (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of postgresql-test:
postgresql-test depends on postgresql (>= 6.5.2); however:
Package postgresql is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing postgresql-test (--configure):
postgresql
odbc-postgresql
postgresql-contrib