Re: Install with new potato boot-floppies

Hi Christian

On 02-Apr-00, you wrote:

>> Error loading the keymap /amiga/amiga-se.bmp from /etc/keymaps.tgz
>>
>> the same happened with amiga-us.
> know problem, hopefully that is fixed inthe new boot-floppies, when my
> amiga decides once to not crash in a day for a change...

Hmm... I don't have such problems, unless I run DOpus, that's the only thing
that crashes my Amiga. Otherwise it's steady as a rock. But, that's besides
the point.

> You have to move them to some directory, the install procedure tells you
> where it expects them. Know problem, the build did not complete in moveing
> the files into the correct places. Hopfully... you know the story ;-)

I did that, I copied the files to the directories it asked for but when the
were at the right places, the following problem occured. (Failed to extract
Rescue Floppy)

> Why did it fail? loop mount filesystem failed? Known problem... I bult a
> new kernel image with loop compiled in. did not manage to give the bf
> another try with this kernel..
> The new (amiga) image is in incoming, since its the first 2.2.10 version,
> it will take some time to get installed. If you mange to downloa it from
> an incoming mirror... but I doubt that you could install with that, since
> the modules changed a bit...

I cannot say why it failed. That was the only information I got out if it,
except a few 'Bad Adress' a little spread out over the screen. I tried
quite a few times with exactly the same result.

Well, I can wait a little while until a new version is ready for testing.

> you use the rootamiga.bin for the initial boot? I think thats what I did,
> well, cant check, since the harddisks have to be checked after the lastest
> crash... no idea why there are two root* files, maybe it does not matter
> which you use, the 1440 or for floppies, allthough HD floppies are barely
> supported on amiga, the are probably in DOS format... ask on debian-boot
> if you want that explained.

Well, I tried them both with no change. They behaved exactly the same. So I
got nothing installed at all, whatever root-file I used. I don't know, it's
probably possible to install even if the rescue-file doesn't work but I
wan't things to go 'by the book' from now on.

> I am trying to build an atari image, then Ill try to build news bfs. Maybe
> I can fix the remaining problems.... and put up a new version on monday.

No hurry necessary as far as I can see. I have to work at least 12 hours
each day the following week, I've got two magazines that has to be finished
so I will be tired enough to just go to sleep when I get home. But, next
weekend I'm ready to try again. However, I'm not the only one I suppose, or
at least I hope so! :)

Regards
--
Thomas Sjölin

http://www.infoscandic.se/~thomas

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
-- Albert Einstein