Re: Cannot mount root? What?

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 09:46:30AM -0600, Bill Layer wrote:

> So did it, or did it not mount the root filesystem? Why is this happening? Am
> I selecting the wrong kernel / root.bin images?
You did not read the instructions (and your sig is too long):

From: http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato/debian-mac.txt
 Put root=/dev/ram in the kernel options and set kernel and ramdisk path.

Oh, this is already a FAQ:
I am trying to install Debian on my Mac, but when I start the Penguin I get:

     RAMDISK : Compressed image found at block 0
     VFS : Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
     VFS : Cannot open root device 00:00
     Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

     You forgot to add

     root=/dev/ram

root.bin contains the ramdisk, but the root_filesystem_ has to be mounted on
/dev/ram, since you can not write to root.bin. I agree, the names are
confusing, but thats why its written in the quickinstall, and in the FAQ.

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato