Cannot mount root? What?

Hi,

Well, I gave up on the SE/30, and instead upgraded my LC475 to a full 68040,
and decided to install onto that machine. Something very puzzling is
happening.

I thought I'd test to see whether or not the kernel will boot before I get
too excited, so I started Penguin18, and selected Install/Linux as my kernel
and Install/root.bin as my root filesystem. When I try to boot, the kernel
makes it all the way and then:

VFS: Mounted root filesystem
VFS: Cannot mount root filesystem
Kernel panic: cannot mount root

(These are not the messages verbatim, but you get the drift - the kernel is
posting conflicting messages)

So did it, or did it not mount the root filesystem? Why is this happening? Am
I selecting the wrong kernel / root.bin images?

--
Bill Layer
Sales Technician

     Viking Electronics, Inc.
       1531 Industrial St.
    Hudson, WI. 54016 - U.S.A
      715.386.8861 ext. 210
 <http://www.vikingelectronics.com>

"Telecom Solutions for the 21st Century"