Re: removing xdm

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 12:29:46PM -0500, Moses Wildermuth wrote:

> OK, I removed task-x-window and xdm.  and now I can get in.  but I can't run
> startx script, I have to use xinit directly.  Don't know why yet.
WHY can't you run startx? Is it not there (xbase-clients installed?) or
does it fail (with which message)?

> As sson as Debian boots up, it started running xdm.  This opened the X
> screen and put a huge window in the middle of the screen with my machine's
> name at the top.  Welcome to Debian2.2-wolfysworld.  This asks me for my
> login and  password.  If I put incorrect values there, it says so, if I put
> correct values there(as if logging in on a regular VT) it loops around and
> asks me again and again and again forever.  I don't know why this does not
> happen to you.  You are lucky I guess
Ok, this is the xdm login. did you install a window manager? I recommend
fvwm, its small but functional. I usually do not use gnome or fancy window
managers, especially not on m68k.
xdm generates a logfile in /var/log/xdm.log, it tells you about problems
with the xserver. If you have a user config problem, .xsession-errors might
tell you more. _Some_ logfile will tell you whats wrong. If all of this does
not work, you might want to read about strace, but I would use this only as
the last resort (ok, gdm is probably the last resort...)

 > No I did not.  Others are familiar with this phenomenom on several lists, no
> one knows a clean solution.  Maybe I had one good idea come thru but I lost
security by obscurity? "several" lists, sorry, I did not hear about it on
debian-x nor on debian-m68k, did I overlook it?

> the email.  He said something about the password rtn being respawned over
> and over in the .xsession.
rtn?

> It is usable just wierd, not the right size.  I keep getting the virtual
> screen size and not just normal screen size.  8bits is fine, but 1024x768
> would be nice.
Read again:
> Then you have to fix the kernel to get a
> different mode. Ask the other clgen users, maybe by combining the efforts
> you can achieve the usability of the 2.0.x driver.

> > BTW, what happened to the updated docs?
>
> You never answered where to send my suggestions.

Because a mac user asked a similar question and I answered en detail. You
replied to my answer on that subject, changed the subject (/s/Mac/Amiga/)
and want me to answer the same question again?
Sorry, I do not have that much time.

Christian