Re: FAQ (fwd)

Moses Wildermuth wrote:

> >From the desk of Moses Wildermuth. Money Talks Enterprises,
> http://moneytalks.giftworldnet.com/
>
> > Ince you switch to single user mode, you should get a root shell prompt
> > '#'. You will not have any drives mounted other than the root partition,
> > and that will be mounted read-only. Any changes require a mount or remount
> > of the drive.
> >
> > You do NOT have virtual terminals in single-user mode.
>
> I thought that's what would happen, but I never get the prompt.  It stops
> before giving me a prompt.  The screen stops scrolling in the middle of
> startup messages.  I think I might have to re-install, but I don't want to
> do that.
>

> > You will need to change that file back to run-level 3. If you have a
> > prompt, just type 'init 3' and then when the system comes up to level 3,
> > you can change the /etc/inittab file back. Otherwise, use a rescue disk
> > (such as linux installed on a floppy with a few handy tools like mount,
> > fsck, fdisk, mkfs, and a small text editor) to mount your drive and edit
> > the file.
>
> I can't boot from a floppy, AFAIK.  Can I boot from Ram, as if I were going
> to reinstall without actually reinstalling?
>
> > under x86, shift-F7 (without control) will take you to X, unless there is
> > a bug in the VT driver.
>
> I tried every combination, I could think of and could not jump back to X.
>
> Regards
> --
> MosesPro --> Money Talks Enterprises

Not exactly familiar with the Amiga install, but assume that once booted
its similar to the Mac install.  If this is the case after configuring
the keyboard you should be able to switch to a shell, run e2fsck on your
root partition, mount it and look around and try to fix whatever init
script is causing it to hang when booting to your root device.

--
Ray Knight
audilvr@speakeasy.org