Re: FAQ (fwd)

http://moneytalks.giftworldnet.com/

> Ince you switch to single user mode, you should get a root shell prompt
> '#'. You will not have any drives mounted other than the root partition,
> and that will be mounted read-only. Any changes require a mount or remount
> of the drive.
>
> You do NOT have virtual terminals in single-user mode.

I thought that's what would happen, but I never get the prompt.  It stops
before giving me a prompt.  The screen stops scrolling in the middle of
startup messages.  I think I might have to re-install, but I don't want to
do that.

> You will need to change that file back to run-level 3. If you have a
> prompt, just type 'init 3' and then when the system comes up to level 3,
> you can change the /etc/inittab file back. Otherwise, use a rescue disk
> (such as linux installed on a floppy with a few handy tools like mount,
> fsck, fdisk, mkfs, and a small text editor) to mount your drive and edit
> the file.

I can't boot from a floppy, AFAIK.  Can I boot from Ram, as if I were going
to reinstall without actually reinstalling?

> under x86, shift-F7 (without control) will take you to X, unless there is
> a bug in the VT driver.

I tried every combination, I could think of and could not jump back to X.

Regards
--
MosesPro --> Money Talks Enterprises

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/mosespro, ICQ-13469530, AIM-Wolfy2264
A3000D, Warp040/40, Spectrum, ASDG Xserial, Nexus, 2+64 Fast+8 DMA(RAD:),
9+1.2gig SCSI2, Zip100 and  Pinnacle 2X CDR/W; Running Hot with OS3.5 and
Scalos1.2! Emulating MacOS7.61 and Win3.11WFW, Debian68k, X is next.