Re: 2.2.17 i386 boot-floppies uploading

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 02:31:56PM +0000, Frank Copeland wrote:
> In this case it doesn't have anything to do with clgen. The box is an
> ECS A2000 with no graphics card, and the driver involved is amifb.
> StartInstall_* doesn't come into the picture either, as I upgraded a
> slink system to potato using apt-get. Unless I missed some message
> during the upgrade (quite possible), there was no warning that the new
> kernel required a change to the amiboot commandline. This is clearly a
> documentation issue, but I'm not entirely sure what documentation needs
> fixing.
Oh, right, we do not have an m68k-upgrading document it seems. We only cared
for first time installations so far. I thought everybody using slink and
upgrading his kernel could be bothered to read the kernel source, it is
documented there, but of course not very obviously.
Care to write an upgrading document we could use?
The main problem is, m68k does not use lilo, so you have to copy vmlinux to
your amiga partition. And you probably have to adjust your startup script,
since you give the kernel-image a different name (it has a different name
when you install the kernel-image packge and if you build it yourself, you
should give it a different name, since you want to save your old, working
kernel). So it can not be changed automatically and I do not know of a way
how to include some warning into the kernel-image package other than in a
README, which probably most users will miss...
Anyhow, write something and we will find a place for it.

Christian