Re: ypbind on mac 68k

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, James Waterhouse wrote:

> Hello all,
>     well in my opinion ypbind (or something related to it or hardware
> itself) is screwed up. As I said in a previous email, the only way I can
> get it to work is by placing it in debug mode and using ypset to set the
> nis server (it seg faults if you put a ypserver line in yp.conf and it
> fails to find the nis server broadcasting). I wish I knew what was
[...]

Hi James,

sorry for replying so late (I've been on vacation for three weeks) but
maybe it still helps. Yes, I have tried to run ypbind on a Mac Quadra 700
some time ago and had similar problems. I had to use debug mode, too, but
even then broadcast was the only thing that _did_ work.

Most, if not all, of this trouble is caused by a problem arising from
the combination of the 68040 (not 68030, 68060) processor and the pthreads
library (the Debian ypbind is ypbind-mt, a multithreaded binary). It looks
as if the bug has been found recently and will be fixed soon.

For a working ypbind NOW try ypbind-bsd (source from ftp.kernel.org),
works fine for me.

Please feel free to contact me if you still have problems or need more
help. And maybe we can test out the Debian ypbind together when the
libpthread problem is fixed. I'd like to have a working _Debian_ solution.

Regards,

Bjoern
--
Bj"orn Brill <brill@fs.math.uni-frankfurt.de>