Illegal instruction on 68LC040?

I tried to install Debian potato on my LC-475. I installed from a hard
disk partition (prepared on anouther linux machine). Install went smoothly
until it needed reboot. After reboot it tried to run
dpkg-reconfigure base-system
from inittab but nothing happened. Investigation showed that
dpkg-reconfigure aborted with 'Illegal instruction'.

First I thought that it was my buggy LC040 but the famous FPU emulation
bug only trigers on some sequence of FPU commads (FLINE exception is not
raised). I doubt that dpkg-reconfigure uses floating point so it must be
some other kind of error.

---
Meelis Roos (mroos@linux.ee)