Re: Kernel issue with SE/30 and Debian 2.2 installation

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Mike Renfro wrote:

> This is my second-most-recent boot log; the most recent one ends up
> the same, even though I'd removed the old Penguin Preferences file
> from the System Folder. I've run Debian 2.1 (2.0 kernel) on this
> machine since last year, so the hardware itself should be capable. Is
> there anything obvious that I'm doing wrong?

[...]
> Physical RAM: 8 MB
> Command line is 'root=/dev/ram mac5380=4,2 video=font:VGA6x6'
> GUnzipping Delenn 540MB:mac:linux
[...]

Here's your problem right here. Two things. First, with only 8 Megs of
RAM, a 2.2 kernel and a ramdisk is a real stretch. I can't boot with a
ramdisk on my SE/30, but I can boot fine with a hard disk partition. I
recommend more memory. See if you can dig up some 4-meg, 32-pin SIMMs,
non-parity.

Second, it looks like you're using the standard Debian kernel. That won't
work with the SE/30 anyway. The SCSI will die. This is an interrupt issue
which I don't entirely understand, but you might try
ftp://macduff.dhs.org/pub/cvs/vmlinux-2.2.14-073100.gz to see if that
works with your SCSI. That is, if you get it to boot at all. There are
more recent kernels there, but they don't work with my SE/30 yet- bus
errors and the like. I put together a stripped down kernel at
ftp://macduff.dhs.org/pub/cvs/misc/vmlinux-2.2.16-small.gz, which _might_
work. I don't know. (The reason the 2.0 kernel works is because it's
smaller, among other things).

BTW, is there really a 6x6 font? I knew about 8x8, and 6x11, but never
6x6. That would be nice actually...

Anyway, give that a try, but more memory is a good idea.

-Andrew