Re: which mac to buy?

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 07:24:43AM -0400, Henry Garcia wrote:
> Would you guy prefer one with an IDE controller?
Personally, I prefer SCSI, but for this I would not care as long as it
works.

> Any other Quadra with Nubus slots would be more flexible, and would allow
I never payed much attention to Mac stuff, are the Nubus slots really
working? Can you get hardware for it? Cheap? Basically a working network
would be enough.

> you to test
> a wide variety of peripherals that use the NUBUS slots: video cards, ATTO
> SCSI-2 cards,
> etc.
>
> Got my eye on a few EBAY auctions for Quadra boxes. You guys have a Mac
> monitor? keyboards, mice?
No, nothing, I'm an Amiga freak, remember? Actually, I think I'll skip this,
thought it was a good offer, but its not really. The quadras look neat,
allthough none of them can match my 12 year old amiga in speed...
Maybe next year, either I will do a postdoc in the US and maybe buy something
check via ebay, or I'll have a real job here and can afford ebay.de.
Either one might impose restrictions to my time though...
Facit, we don't need a Mac, we need a developer with a Mac. An extra m68k
machine wouldn't hurt though, if it can be conencted to the net somewhere.
Type would not matter then I guess, since it would only be useful when
running linux. Mac specific testing/development has to be done by a mac
user/developer.

Christian