Re: which mac to buy?

[I basically agree with James not to recommend a 030 model, except for the
unlikely case you want to spend your time improving the upcoming
pseudo-DMA SCSI and tuning interrupt stuff ...]

> On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 12:41:17PM +0000, James P. Schmidt wrote:
> > > Macintosh Quadra 700, 610
> >
> > 68040s...  getting better... maybe if you only had $25 to spend...
> thats more like $200..., the IIx would be $50.

$200 for a 700 is high, though that one would be best supported at the
moment I guess.

> > > Power Macintosh 8100/80 (this is powerpc?)
> > > Power Macintosh 8100/100AV
> > > Power Macintosh 9500/12
> >
> > There we go, my first choices.  Fastest out of anything in the list;
> > actually, it's strange how your list goes in order of increasing speed
> > and power.  (FYI, any Mac with 4 digits in the name is a PowerPC, i.e. not
> > 68k.)
> Yup, thats PPC, Id really love to have a PPC, but that would not help the
> debian/m68k project, would it? Also they would be twice as expensive as the
> Quadras...

The 8100 are Nubus Powermacs IIRC; so no (or very preliminary) LinuxPPC.
The 9500 I dunno, check the LinuxPPC.org machine support page.

> I just looked on ebay, ie Quadra 950, lots of RAM, large SCSI disk for $140,
> so it seems the offer I got is a little expensive...
> Ok, SCSI is not supported, neither ADB (does it have an IDE controller
> then?) but then I could do some hacking agin :-)

SCSI and ADB are both supported in recent kernels (ADB since mid-99, SCSI
since way before that but you had to take care not to let the kernel probe
the external bus. Should be fixed in the Debian 2.2.10 kernel according to
my source.

The 950 should be even better than the 700 but I have no info on the
status of the external bus (it uses two 53C96 controllers wired to the
same interrupt so in theory it should work now).

The Quadra and Performa 630 were IDE machines, to answer that question,
also one of the 1xx Powerbooks (totally useless hardware for Linux) at
least.