Re: Linux on PPC upgrades?

>This may be the wrong place to ask, but ...

This is the closest you're going to get for this question :-)

>I was kinda curious if there were any 68040->PPC upgrades still available for
>Macs, and where one would go to find such a thing.

There are, I think Sonnet does them. Check mac-mall or whatever catalogs are
out there for macs. But really, why spend money for an upgrade hardware when
you can get upgrade software for free?

>Also, I would expect Linux supports 040 Macs that have been upgraded to a
>PPC, is there anyone here that has tried it?

Unfortunately, you wouldn't be correct on this one. (How much of a hacker
are you?) The problem is partially the board. The other problem is the rest
of the machine. The m68k version compiles and runs on m68k chips. You'd have
to set the m68k source code to compile for PowerPC instead, which could be a
nightmare - I don't really know. Then, there's the board. You can be sure
that it isn't going to be
whatever-the-motherboard-was-but-now-with-a-PPC-chip, which means...kernel
hacking!

 I actually wanna see if its
>possible to put a PPC upgrade board into a NeXT machine - I know it won't run
>NeXT Step anymore, and the NeXT port of Linux would need alot of modification
>(or rather the PPC port of Linux would have to be modified to the NeXT or
>something), but I'm curious if the speed increase would be worth it.

If you run Linux you'll get better mileage out of your current system than
you probably would out of a hardware upgrade...

Russell