Re: Fw: Potato boot floppies on Mac getting "invalid compressed format"

> > What would be the point? Penguin-17 is available from the slink
> > boot-floppies. And I would rather see Penguin-18 fixed than kludging
> It would be on the potato CDs as well. So people with a CD do not have to
> have a slink CD as well or download Penguin-17.

How many people have had trouble with Penguin-18? How many others used it
without any trouble?

> > But go ahead and include Penguin-17 - without the Preferences file,
> > please (that one had a serious error that did more harm than it helped).
> Only the hqx. People have to unhqx it, as described in the docs (I hope).

As long as there's no Penguin_Prefs.hqx, fine. Penguin-17 does not by
itself pick sane defaults for all settings (-18 does) so the user has to
carefully double check the settings.

> Btw, did you look at the boot-floppies code recently? I wondered why all the
> HFS magic is still there, AFAICS the HFS image is not used at all anymore.
> Maybe time to drop that code? Or maybe comment it out? Might confuse future
> maintainers...

I've not looked at the boot-floppies code in over a year. Does this answer
your question?

Long answer: If you think there will be a future m68k boot-floppies
maintainer, and it would help that person a lot to have the code cleaned
up, go ahead and remove or comment out what's not needed anymore. My take
on it: let's first see some new maintainers, or at least one for
boot-floppies. I would not waste my time on cleaning up dead code that's
not going to hurt anyone.

> I got no comment on the new debian-mac-4.txt, so I will check that in now.

If you add Penguin-17, please do add a note that it is provided only for
the rare case that someone runs into trouble with -18.
I'll direct all requests for help that arise from confusion on what is the
real booter to you otherwise :-)