Re: Potato boot floppies on Mac getting "invalid compressed format"

Well. now I feel much better. Yours works and mine don't. What really makes me feel good is this statement quoted from Russell Hines to the debian-68k@lists.debian.org:
> But one thing I always wonder about, did you mac guys actually test the
> potato installation?

I'll be brave and say, no, I don't think I tested it according to what you
have on your ftp site. I know I used a 2.2 base I got from somewhere that
doesn't exist anymore...but hey, I just got two new computers (if you can
call machines made in 1993/1994 "new") : a Quadra 700, and an LCII. I'll be
getting them running Linux this week.
Does this mean that the Linux developers have been testing the Mac Installation on emulators? Maybe that's why the ttyS1 ... ttySx have never worked on my Mac machines. Or  maybe someone has a working modem on a Mac. My IIci with slink on ended up with undefined on these ttyS..'s.

Anyway, does your Quadra have an ide drive? Or just SCSI drives? I make a debian folder on the internal ide, but I have to use the external SCSI drive with the identical files I have on the internal ide drive.
The first phase detects the ide drive as hda1; but it says it has an unknown file format and goes on. Apparently, the linux kernel and the other necesary files are loaded into RAM. I did a <df> command from another console, and it said I had 2 filesystems on the first phase: /dev/root (which must be a RAMdisk), and a /dev/sda3 which showed up after the install program found the proper files on the fireball. I use the micropolis exclusively for Linux. I have 3 drives hooked up on the Performa 637CD (68LC040, 36mb): an internal 450mb ide, an external fireball 1.0 gb SCSI, and an external Micropolis 1.1 gb SCSI. Maybe I have too much memory. You have 24 and I have 36.
Anyway, if you got yours to work, I can't figure why you're not getting the same message I am about the internet superserver: inetd:  INIT   respawning etc. I saw another guy who had the same exact messsage I did. Michael said the following:
There's a gzip and tar for MacOS, so please try to use these tools instead
of StuffIt expander. I've never tried StuffIt expander on tar archives,
maybe something got messed up there.
He apparently thinks the problem is with Stuffit. But since Stuffit 5.5 fixed your Potato, this doesn't seem to be the problem. But where can I find these gzip and tar files? I suppose, if I have to, I could use the slink on my IIci to gzip the macinstall.tgz. But since Christian told me to try Potato out to benefit other Mac users, it messed up my working Linux on my IIci.

Aieeeeee

Oh, the humanity?  Sounds like a  literal word for word german translation of a common german phrase? Shouldn't it be: "Oh, humanity!"

I'm installing Potato on my IBMPC compatible.