Re: Debian on HP 300/400/700?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 12:52:30PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> I haven't heard of anyone, and there aren't any HP kernels or installers
> in the boot-floppies. You can try to install the base system manually and
> configure the few things that dbootstrap usually does for you after that.

Well, I've got the hardware now (an HP 382, which is a 25MHz 68040
machine, with 16Mb RAM). At the moment I'm trying to get NetBSD
running on it, because NetBSD seems to have it running production
quality on this architecture.

The boot ROMs in the machine support network booting (requires
rbootd, which is already packaged for Debian). They also support
serial console, which is a good thing because NetBSD doesn't support
the frame buffer video card in the 382.

Most of NetBSD's installation instructions are for installing
via the network (including booting the initial installer via network),
or via tape. No mention of floppies. (My machine has a tape
drive and no floppy disk presently.)

I will play with the Linux port once I get a bit further along.
Still sorting out some hardware issues.

Regarding the 817, it's probably PA-RISC. I think there's some
interest in a Debian port to PA-RISC once the Puffin guys have
got the compiler and kernel stable. There's a few Debian developers
at HP and Agilent too.

Hamish