Re: Kernel / atari-fdisk problem with IDE-HD > 8,4 GB

(I'm author of atari-fdisk.)

> On large (== every new Disk, yet) IDE-Harddisks the real disk size
> is greater then the reported size by the HD itself in C/H/S
> notation. The reported LBA- size is correct, but not used by the
> Kernel so the atari-fdisk programm reports errors.

Hmm... wait a moment. atari-fdisk uses the standard BLKGETSIZE ioctl
to get the disk size from the kernel. You mean that the kernel's IDE
driver reports that size wrong? So that would be a sole kernel
problem, not atari-fdisk's one.

Ok, back to the kernel: Most parts of the IDE driver are nowadays
shared between all archs, so I can't really believe that IDE on Atari
should make things different than elsewhere. Or, wait a moment: It
could be that using the LBA size is usually enabled by a corresponding
setting in the PC BIOS, and that the default is using the CHS size. So
the bug would be that some flag or the like isn't set on Atari...
Would have to look into this, but I'm no real expert for IDE :-(

I think it's best if you write to the Linux/m68k kernel list for this
issue.

For the Debian part: If a patch is available, we should integrate it
as fast as possible into our current kernel-patch package and
recompile the Atari kernel. This could be considered release
critical...

Roman