Re: Xserver/Xwindows on SE/30

Johan Ugander wrote:

> As far as I can find, all these methods still require me to run X on
> my local machine. Is there anyway of gettting the CPU load from all
> that work off of the localhost and onto the server?

remote systems usually don't know anything about what hardware is running with
the client, that tries to connect to any service. so the remote server is not
able to controll your graphic hardware. this has to run on localhost's cpu/mem.
If you run a chooser or alike, you may fetch your working graphical environment
from a remote server, all processes that are run in that are runnimg on that
powerful sever.

> Nowhere can I find anything about what computer actually does the work here.

what work?

contrlolling your hardware depends on localhost, i.e. your x-server. displaying
anything on it needs a service that transmitts what you want to display on a
remot host (from your prefered server) and  a service that accepts  this on yout
localhost.

> As I said, I have tried running startx while in a telnet session, but
> it doesnt load.

if it's ther it does, but on remote. telent terminals are not capable of
displaying graphics. your command just starts x on remote system.

> It stops at keyboard config problems...I played
> around with xf86config until I realized that it shouldn't be touched
> to much. The Video card settings are for the one in the server which
> i'm telneted into. And I could desperately use an xf86 setup file for
> an SE/30.
>
> Cry for HELP!

you have to install x e.a. on your local system first. then you can think about
remote sessions.

gerhard