Re: Now that I've got a decent system...

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 11:54:50PM -0500, Russell Hires wrote:

> I did an ftp install using dselect. I didn't use the defaults that
> originally came with dselect (in terms of where to get the install files), I
> chose instead (through a process of trial and error) to use the
> /debian/dists/potato/main/ directory, and using the "all" option installed a
> bunch of stuff on my Quadra 610.
Why dont you try out apt? Should work on a potato system. My
/etc/apt/sources.list:
# frozen (potato)
deb file:/debian potato main
deb file:/debian potato contrib non-free
deb file:/debian potato/non-US main contrib non-free
deb file:/debian project/experimental/
deb file:/debian potato local

note that I have a local mirror on /debian (no cable modem here...)
If you want to access servers on the net, see the examples:
# Use for a local mirror - remove the ftp1 http lines for the bits
# your mirror contains.
# deb file:/your/mirror/here/debian stable main contrib non-free
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especial
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
Uncomment the last two lines and adapt them to your nearest server (there
was some debian tool to find out which is the nearest on the net, forgot).
replace stable by frozen or potato.

> My question is this: how do I tell what's been installed versus what hasn't
> been installed? I know what dselect tells me, but I don't know if it can
> tell what's in the /debian/dists/potato/main and on (or not on) my computer.
> In other words, can it compare what the differences are in what I've got
> installed and what's in that directory?
Not sure if I can follow, what dselect tells you is pretty accurate, it
tells you when new versions are there. It uses a Packages file to find out
which versions are available. This file in in main/binary-m68k, contrib/b..
etc. You can check that by hand, if you prefer. To find out which vesion of
a package is installed, dpkg -l <package_name>. You can use wildcards as
well. grep-available (package grep-dctrl) is also very informative. Check
the manpages for dpkg and grep-available for more info, they can give you a
lot of information, I probably know only about 5% of it...
Is that what you wanted to know?

> And another thing: is it possible to get an idea of how many MB the software
> is in /debian/dists/potato/main? Maybe I can use that to determine at the
> very least how much more I can safely install without using up all of my
> disk space (approx. 500 MB still free).
dslect tells you how much space will be used when you install things. The
Packages file gives you information how much space each package will take.

If you want to know how much all of the packages take, this is the disk-usage
of my mirror (main only), installed packages take usually more space than
the debs themselves.
cts@aahz:/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-m68k>du -s -m *
1       Packages.gz
0       Release
18      admin
17      base
3       comm
240     devel
194     doc
117     editors
5       electronics
63      games
42      graphics
2       hamradio
48      interpreters
40      libs
23      mail
52      math
55      misc
40      net
12      news
10      oldlibs
4       otherosfs
3       shells
38      sound
62      tex
80      text
24      utils
39      web
121     x11

Seems not to fit into 500MB ;-)
But normally, you would nto want to install _all_ packages, I doubt it would
work, since several packages conflict with each other (you did not read the
false install guide? No pointers, its an evil page...).

Christian