Re: apt-error (fwd)

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 12:16:27AM +0100, Thomas Sjölin wrote:

> I'm sorry. I'm giving up. I cannot get any of this information. I'm to good
> damn stupid to run Linux, at lesat debian Linux. I need an easier thing as
> it seems. I have tried to get all of this information but I get nowhere. I
> can run strace but that doesn't help me very much since I can't get it out
> as a file, it probably did but I can't find it. Running bug does no good,
> since it refuses to run when I'm logged on as root and I just can't
> remember how to create another user that has some priveliges to run it.
> Finally, I can't remember how to check how much space my harddrive has left
> either.
>
> So, I guess I'll just reformat this harddrive and never ever try again, I'm
> to frustrated with this.
It seems you should read a good book about unix first..

> All I can say right now is that I have installed slink on amiga, with the
> newest disks in slink. What version apt has I don't remember but I haven't
> installed or updated anything. Oh, I did install apt because I thought I
> didn't have it, but I found out as I installed it that I did, but that was
> the same version so I didn't think more of it.
Well, thats an information at least. Ok, I did not use slink for a long
time, so I dont know about its apt.
You dont have a normal user account? When you install the system, you are
asked if you want a normal user account to be created, you said no? You
shouldnt, doesnt it say there you should really have one? Remember, this is
unix, not AmigaOS.
To create one later, use "adduser". bug seems to run as _any_ user but root,
that is for security reasons, you should use the root account only when its
absolutely necessary, any unix book will tell you that.

Check space: df
Check packages: dpkg -l <package>, you can use wildcards here.
Or run dselect, doesnt it tell you numbers?
What about your /etc/apt-sources.list? Dont tell me, you do not know how to
look at it.

I heard rumours, that there will be a debian for dummies book this summer,
not sure if that is a good one, but maybe thats the one for you? There is a
lot of online documentation, probably installed on your system allready.
Try apropos space. man df. apropos user, man adduser. its all there.

But it seems, your not the one to test the new boot-floppies, how about
testing icons for amiga OS?

Christian
--
Read the FAQ!                     http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html
Download the FAQ!   ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/680x0/FAQ/FAQ.gz