Re: Can't compile 2.2.10 kernel for my A1200

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 09:15:34PM +0100, Diablo wrote:
> Hi Christian
>
> On 20-Mar-00, you wrote on subject Re: Can't compile 2.2.10 kernel for my
> A1200 :
>
>     Kernel at first look works almost good. There ara diffrent palette from
and it fails later?
> original 2.0.36 slink kernel (in ls --color and mc), and on boot there are
> no colors using ESC codes in echo (but this is detail)...
did you switch the console? did you notice the little penguin in the top
left(?) kernel eating all your colors? Switch the console back and forth,
and you have access to all colors again.

> > You know that you will not have much fun with this kernel on a
> > debian/slink system?
>
>     Can i ask why?
Sure, but you could also have read the list archive, I think we discused it
here. I dont remember every detail, but I think the problem was the
following. In 2.2.x some kernel function (wrt creating softlinks?) was
changed in a not backwards compatible way. dpkg relied on this when
installing packages which contains links (I bet every package contains
links, or at least should, /usr/doc -> usr/share/doc in potato).
When you install a package running 2.2.10 and the link comes in the deb
before the file it points to, the installation would fail. You can fix this,
just "touch" the missing file before installing the deb, but this is quite a
lot of work.
Note the problem is (was) only related to installing packages, once they are
installed everything is fine with the 2.2 kernel as well.
Roman fixed this for potato, but I dont remember in which package or was it
in the kernel? I am pretty sure its still there in slink.
Search for yourself, if youre interested in this. Otherwise, if you run into
strange problem with 2.2.10 on slink, you know why.

But maybe you want to test a potato install? Look in the boot-floppies
directory on my debian pages for boot-floppies using the 2.2.10 kernel. Its
unsorted, you have to shuffle it a bit to get it going Michael said, but if
some people actually test this, we might have a chance to get potato CDs for
m68k as well.

Any icon artists around? Id like to replace the "bird" icons with the new
"swirl" logo. Can somebody make such an icon and give it to us? The license
must be GPL of course...
Maybe somebody can just recommend a (free) amiga program to create icons,
something that allows importing a bitmap would be nice. I might try to make
an icon myself, in one or two months, if thats not too late...

Christian